MyIR is IRD’s online service. It allows you to:
- Access your IRD number
- Check your student loan balance.
- Update your details (including your address, bank or contact details).
- Manage your child support payments.
- Check and update your Working for Families details.
- File a personal tax return (IR3).
- File and pay your GST.
Who can have a MyIR account?
- Individuals with a personal IRD number
- Sole traders operating under a personal IRD number
- Business owners
(For security reasons, employees cannot register on behalf of the business)
If you are registering as an individual, all you need is your IRD number.
If you are registering on behalf of a business or organisation, you need to be either a sole trader, operating under your own personal IRD number, or a business owner such as the company director. You will also need to have the IRD number for the business/organisation and an email address.
Registering for MyIR as an individual is simple and the process is complete in three easy steps:
- Have your IRD number ready
- Create your MyIR account
- Activate your MyIR account
Note: you may need to call IRD when it comes to the activation part of this process, so make sure you do this during their opening hours (8am – 8pm, Monday – Friday).
To get started with the registration process go to the IRD website here and click the “Register” button in the top right corner.
Click here for step-by-step instructions
- Fill out your IRD number, enter the required personal details and click continue.
When creating your user ID and password, make sure it is something memorable as you will need to use these details to log in each time.
- You will then be taken to a “check and save detail” page, check all details you have provided are correct, and click on the “save” button and you will be taken to the “activation” page.
- Now you simply need to activate your account.
If your mobile number matches the number on IRD’s records, you will receive a text message with an activation code to activate your account. Once this text is received, enter the code on the activation screen and click “submit”. This will need to be done within two hours of receiving the text message.
- If your mobile number does not match the IRD records, you will need to give IRD a call on 0800 227 770 to activate your MyIR login. This will need to be done within 48 hours of registering for a MyIR login and you will need to have your IRD number handy.
You will be asked a few questions to confirm your identity but this should only take a few minutes and your account will then be activated by IRD.
Once you have gone through this process you will be able to start using MyIR immediately.
If you run into any problems, there are a lot of help articles on the IRD website. Just type your query into the search bar and there should be a guide online to help you out.
If you are still having issues, send us an email here.